Today, January 13th is Make Your Dream Come True Day. This got me thinking exactly what my dreams are, and I discovered that may dreams are my aspirations, goals, aims and wishes for the future. As today is all about making my dreams come true, and all my dreams are about the future I've taken a few moments of what I can do and what changes I need to make in my life, be it go the extra mile in something or try something I've never done before to ensure these dreams come true!
1. Write a piece for NYLON Magazine. Its my favourite magazine on the planet and I would be so honoured to grace its pages, once, even if it is just once!
How am I going to work towards achieving this? I need to carry on working hard on my article portfolio with a diverse range of topics. Take every opportunity that falls into my lap. And keep on the look out for opportunities to write for NYLON in the magazine, on their website and in their newsletters and hopefully if one comes along I'll have a killer portfolio to show!
2. Publish a novel.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? Well I've written one, The Shakespeare Society, and I've completed the first edit. I need to work hard on the second edit, let some people read it and get some criticism, revise it then set about finding myself an agent. Once I've got someone good they'll help me on the road about starting to get it published!
3. Live for at least a month in New York City.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? Well I need to finish school first, but then I need to start working to save up money for the great New York visit. I need to find and make, so I don't have to pay for hotel expenses, friends who live in New York who i can stay with for some of the stay. Then I need to make a mega list of all the things I want to get done in the city. I'm visiting it at the end of this year so I need to make sure I make a list of things I wish I had time to do there, but I didn't get time to in the week I'm going for!
4. Have my own column. In a print magazine, online magazine or news site.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? Same as the NYLON entry at number one. Build my portfolio and look out sharp for opportunities!
5. Teach English for at least a year in a boarding school. Even if not for my whole career, I really want to spend some time as a teacher. I go to a boarding school and bcause I can see the lives our teachers have day in ay out, I would really like to, for at least a year to experience what they do, and love doing every single day.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? For this I don't need a teaching qualification but I need an English degree. So I need to study hard now to get into a good university, not just in English though but in all my subjects. Then I need to work hard at the degree then look for a job to apply to!
6. Teach English for at least a year in a state school. So I can have a different experience to the schools I went to growing up.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? The same as teaching in a boarding school, but I'll need to work towards a teaching qualification for this one too.
7. Write a play and either direct or act in it.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? I have an idea for a play and I've written a scene, but I need to work on getting it finished and polished. Then find somewhere to put it on and people to perform in it!
8. Design a dress and make it myself, from scratch.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? I know how to design, where to get fabric and how to sew and trim really well. I just need to buy/ borrow or rent a dressmakers mannequin, and learn pattern cutting.
9. Buy a really expensive pair of lovely pretty high heeled shoes.
How am I going to work towards achieving this? Save up, and then travel to a big city and trawl through all the stores until I find 'the' pair!
10. Found a Literary Salon. (A literary discussion group)
How am I going to work towards achieving this? I haven't got enough friends or acquaintances, or enough analytical experience to do this now, so I think I should wait until i at least go to university. For now I should practice my literary criticism, and keep on reading so I always improve and when the time comes I'll be prepared to take the helm !
So what are your dreams, and what are you going to do today to make a start on it coming true?