So what is new since last we spoke? Well, I turned 20 yesterday and I am officially no longer a teenager. I'll tell you more about my birthday next week (it involved brunch and the beach with my partner in crime Evie who has returned for part two of our LA adventures over an extended weekend, and a new iPad to blog from, thanks Mummy and Daddy!). Aside from that, I'm now officially on 'Spring Break' so I've been determined to spend as much time at the beach as possible, and eating as much delicious food around Los Angeles as possible, and I hope for this to continue through next week too. During my beach and eating adventures I've been doing a lot of reading too. I've enjoyed two absolutely fantastic restaurant related books that I really must recommend to you all: The Times (and my all time favourite) restaurant critic Giles Coren's book How To Eat Out which made me laugh hysterically and I've reviewed over at Judging Covers, and the crown jewels of all restaurant books Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. You'll never look at a chef in the same way ever again.
1. Marinated Mozzarella with Fresh Cherry and Vine Tomatoes from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi. | 2. One of my favourite flowers, the Bird of Paradise in full bloom in my courtyard. | 3. Testing my mothers theory that I always photograph better with a glass of wine in my hand! | 4. Evie pretended to go to the bathroom over lunch yesterday to tell the waiter it was my birthday, so I got a little candle in my butterscotch pudding! | 5. Fresh Summer lunches. | 6. Clam Linguini at Bottega Louie Downtown.
- Anthony Bourdain's comments to Cosmopolitan on the sexiest thing a girl can do on a date means that dinner date wise, there may be some hope for me yet!
- Nicole's travel photos from Tasmania are breathtaking; makes me want to go traveling again!
- I wholeheartedly agree with Gala Darling's no. 1 tip for getting re-inspired for your blog.
- How to make your own floral water spray.
- The Beauty Department has put together a great guide to spot concealing.
- 8 Unusual Desserts From Around The World.
- I need the blue lace ups from the Vans x Kenzo collaboration.
- 10 Ten Tips for Food Photography, By Food Photographers.
- Sarah Ashley, the food blogger who came 3rd in ABC's The Taste talks about her experience on the show; some great insights into the world of primetime reality TV.
- What every blogger needs to know about Google and the possible consequences of sponsored posts.
Just a quick reminder to you all, last week Google announced that it will be shutting down Google Reader on July 1st, so if you use Google Reader or Google Friend Connect to subscribe to Rachel Phipps you will have to move your subscription elsewhere. Here you can read more about your options, here you can follow Rachel Phipps on Bloglovin', and here you can add Rachel Phipps to your Feedly account.
7. The view of the courtyard from my balcony. | 8. A Salted Caramel Scoop from Sprinkles Ice Cream in Beverly Hills. | 9. Given the option I will always order the mussels. | 10. Stone-baked takeaway pizza from 800 Degrees in Westwood. | 11. Mint gelato and television in bed on a Saturday night. | 12. Big, plump and delicious Mexican strawberries.
- The first of my friend Nicole's travel photo diaries from Paris is really making me miss afternoons spent sitting outside of French cafes - I can't wait for this Summer!
- How to move your Google Reader RSS feed to Bloglovin'
- London's Hidden Shopping Street: A Walking Tour
- Laura Ashley shows us how to arrange a beautiful bright bunch of Spring tulips.
- Christian Dior is taking over Harrods until April 14th.
- If you live in New York, this is where you need to get your bagels and fillings.
- Everyone seems to be in Paris at the moment, Carrie's photos are also beautiful!
- Olivia has a formula for pretty awesome looking homemade pizzas on a student budget.
- Yara and her in house photographer Eefje have put together a really fantastic, useful and informative post for bloggers on photography for their blogs.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I've got another week left of Spring Break, so while I do have a dissertation proposal to write for next year I'm going to make sure I spend a lot of time down at the beach and keep on exploring what Los Angeles has to offer!