I'm long overdue for a holiday, and thankfully I'm off on one next week. So, I've been gathering up all the books I'm looking for reading over a whole week without phones or internet (don't worry - I am taking my camera!) As we all know I'm into my Californian food, so I've ordered Sunset Magazine's latest book, Eating Up The West Coast, which basically shares stories and recipes up and down the whole of the West Coast. I've also been sent the debut cookbook from teen blogger Alessandra Peters, The Foodie Teen, which looks delicious and I can't wait to try. Oh, and me being me I'll be taking two fat political numbers with me (Cameron at No. 10: The Inside Story - which is brilliant so far - and the latter half of Parliament: The Biography, volume I).
1. Spring daffodils out in full force. | 2. Colour coordinating my cookbook shelf, because I'm one of those people. (A few of my favourites: One: A Cook and her Cupboard by Florence Knight, Mr Todiwala's Bombay by Cyrus Todiwala, The Art of Eating Well by Jasmine & Melissa Hemsley, Skinny Weeks & Weekend Feasts by Gizzi Erskine, Honey & Co.: Food from the Middle East by Sarit Packer and Itamar Srulovich, Homemade Memories by Kate Doran, A Bird In The Hand by Diana Henry, A Change of Appetite by Diana Henry, Jamie's Comfort Food by Jamie Oliver and Ministry of Food by Jamie Oliver. | 3. Kicking off Princes' Trust Race Day at Ascot with cocktails in the Ascot box. Full post to follow next week, but for those of you who have been asking, my dress I found in a Hobbs outlet store, and my jacket is this one from Jigsaw. | 4. Rounding off my month long #MyVita collaboration with Ryvita with avocado and sunblush tomato topped salt and pepper Ryvita for a light lunch. #ad | 5. Celebrating the launch of Cath Kidston's new Gnorris the Gnome print by taking Gnorris for a Bank Holiday country walk. | 6. Beating my family at Monopoly on Bank Holiday Monday.
- Sophie has written a post on how to have a great day that contains true lessons to live by.
- Kate has some great tips on choosing the right camera for you.
- Something I've always wanted to do in Los Angeles but I've never been brave enough to try: this is how you drink your way through Koreatown.
- Speaking of Koreatown, I love how different L.A. looks though Molly's lens than mine. (You can see my review of The Line Hotel where she stayed, here.)
- Wendy had a day free to spend and reached out on Instagram for recommendations; I put together a day, she ended up hitting all of my favourite spots, and her photos are awesome.
- Food 52 has shared 5 baking tips that are obvious to professionals, but may not occur to the rest of us. I'm on board with everything except for the whole rubbing butter thing.
- Also from Food 52, what is tapioca, anyway?
- Williams Sonoma explains the Meyer Lemon: the one piece of fresh produce I buy in California I wish we could get across the pond.
- Also, we should also be preserving other citrus fruit like we do lemons.
- Jane was one of the lucky few allowed to take photos inside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. She also takes us around some beautiful Ancient Egyptian temples.
- Also from Jane, lessons she has learnt for life, while traveling.
- What it is like to be a female Uber driver.
- Has anyone tried planning a trip using Google Destinations, yet?
- Amy has shared her Leeds Indie Food picks ahead of their Indie Food Festival.
7. Cheering on the Lamb National at Ascot. Yes, those are lambs racing with teddy bear jockeys tied to their backs! | 8. Celebrating Easter on the farm with fluffy chicks, Cadbury Mini Eggs and rainbow Le Creuset egg cups. | 9. Getting plants ready to take to France while we finish off our garden there. | 10. Blood oranges outside the greengrocers on Deal High Street. | 11. Beautiful sundown views across the English Channel to France. | 12. Wellies in the back porch.
- Ashlae has put together a great guide to visiting Bolivia. It actually looks pretty awesome.
- All of these beautiful Paris hotels are under £150 a night.
- How to turn your microwave into a proving box for baking bread. Has anyone tried this? Also, has anyone ever fat washed whiskey before. I'm curious.
- This is how to experience the non-tourist side of Austin, Texas.
- Food 52's guide on how to stock food at home for just one of you is pretty great.
- These homemade room sprays look divine.
- You need to read this if you are one of those people who only uses one skincare brand.
- This is how you can DIY *that* Eugenia Kim sunhat with sequins.
- The Kitchn looks at if meal kits are more or less wasteful than shopping at the grocery store.
- Here is a no-fuss guide to maple syrup grading. Also, I want to eat eggs poached in syrup.
- This is where the locals eat in New Orleans. I want to eat at all of them. And this guide.
- Kristabel real talks about the new Instagram changes.
- Fashionista on the rise of press trips for bloggers' social media streams.
- This video Emiko sent me is a must watch for anyone looking to make their own pasta at home. (You can check out Emiko's amazing blog here.)
- Yes, I now want to go and stay in a five star hotel in Mauritius.
- I really enjoyed this essay on airport bars. Also, this essay on kitchen knives.
- Mulia takes us on a tour of the best food markets in Tel Aviv.
- This is how you cut a pineapple.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I'll be working hard to make sure I'm up to date on everything before I switch off away from everything for the first time in over a year next week. I could not be more excited for long walks in the forest and settling down with an aperitif and a good book every evening! (You can check out my past Brittany adventures here.)
Check out 9 Recipes to Showcase Sriracha Sauce
by Rachel Phipps at Mode