I meant to ask you all to go and vote for me as Best Food Blogger in the Great British Food Awards, but from all the messages I've had, I know everyone wants me to talk about Wednesday. I work in the Houses of Parliament, and as everyone who follows me on Instagram will know, I have a beautiful view of New Palace Yard and the Palace of Westminster out of my office window. While I've had so many questions about what I saw, what I want to talk about is the police, from the security guards who wish me good morning as I clear security every day, to the officer I was joking with in the Yard a few hours before, to the amazing team who led us out of Parliament and took our witness statements late into the night. The police and security services sacrifice so much to keep us all safe, and on Wednesday PC Keith Palmer died protecting the rest of us on the Parliamentary Estate. That is something I'm not going to forget for the rest of my life.
1. Beautiful blooms on Bermondsey Street. | 2. Taking our interns up onto the roof of Parliament on a sunny day for the best view of Big Ben in the city. | 3. Brunching at Village East in Bermondsey. | 4. Sunday lunch with my parents at The Roebuck in Borough. | 5. Team bottle of wine after work on the House of Commons terrace. | 6. Words to live by at Islington tube station.
- Carrie has put together all of her favourite Amsterdam addresses in one place.
- Olivia and Joe spent a weekend in Bath and it looks fabulous.
- If you don't have plans for this Mothers Day weekend and you're going to be in London, Claire has put together the ultimate Covent Garden itinerary. (Rose also has some Mayfair tips!)
- Lucy has made the art of making sourdough at home utterly foolproof.
- Yaya and Lloyd have 9 (actually sensible) suggestions for how to travel the world for free.
- Jacintha has put together the perfect 2 week japan travel itinerary.
- I now want to bake a chocolate cake with mayonnaise in.
- Jane reviews her month spent travelling with only a carry on of clothes and toiletries.
- I loved this piece on the downsides of binge watching TV shows. I get it, because while I love a good binge, we're really enjoying watching Big Little Lies in sync as an office.
- Here is the ultimate guide to spending 48 hours in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Pixie has written a frankly brilliant blog post about how she was wrong about 'clean eating'.
- The Kitchn has the ultimate guide to cooking and buying spare ribs.
- Gil Mellor, on why we need to be eating more squirrel.
- Jay Rayner on why restaurants should not cater to our individual needs.
- Here is a fantastic, insiders guide to Venice, Los Angeles, aka my spiritual home.
- We all need to know about Emma Watson's makeup and beauty routine.
- I need to go on a photography trip to Antigua.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the rest of the Mothers Day weekend? For more like this, don't forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter, which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month, packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook reviews, and other updates.