Weekly Love: Week 133
I panicked when I realised that I have less than 8 weeks left living in Los Angeles and that there was so much I have not eaten yet. The two best meals I have had so far in the city have been my first ever Korean Barbecue experience at Soot Bull Jeep and fried chicken at Ludo Lefebvre’s LudoTruck which I have been back to since. Both of these were food experiences I would not really go for; a minimalist shop front restaurant where you’re looked at suspicious for being, well, not Korean, and a food truck; examples of why you must try everything and anything in life. I think this sense of panic was exacerbated by watching the first few episodes of Anthony Bordain’s new documentary on CNN; Parts Unknown that you really must catch. While their is food it is not food centric; the first episode is a fascinating first look at Burma, somewhere where not many cameras have been before, and the second focuses on Los Angeles’ Koreatown and a different side to the city most television shows really don’t show you which I particularly enjoyed.
1. I will never have had enough of the ocean. | 2. A mid afternoon fresh cut fruit snack. Local strawberries, cantaloup melon and thinly shredded fresh mint is my favourite combination at the moment. | 3. Recipe testing with baby broccoli stems and salami. | 4. Consulting The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook on the subject of pizza dough. | 5. Sage advice on the 3rd Street Promenade. | 6. Homemade anchovy pizza.
- Until May 8th you can buy your Chanel mascara out of a vending machine in Selfridges.
- 19 Reasons Why Hermione Granger is More Awesome Than Katniss Everdeen.
- Spring has finally sprung in Paris, and Carin’s photos make me want to hop on a plane instantly.
- These photos capture some of the reasons I miss Aga cooking and the English countryside.
- New York has never really held much allure for me, but these restaurant and food photos from around Brooklyn might be enough to make me change my tune.
- The new recipe index on Love and Lemons has to be the best recipe index and search tool I have seen on any food blog, ever. (P.S. you can see mine here!)
- I am a big fan of the new Calla for Comptoir Des Cotonniers.
- London’s 12 Best Indie Bookshops. My favourites on this list is Daunt Books.
- There is a new Lulu Frost for J.Crew jewellery collection.
- Monks Beard: the new British seasonal ‘it’ ingredient.
- Photos from a real, traditional German breakfast.
- Beautiful photos from Springtime in London. I want to go home now.
I think she is crazy, even if it is for a good cause, but my very good friend Sherin is going to be abseiling down the Broadgate Tower in London where she works (that is 510 feet!) in aid of Mile End Climbing Wall that focuses on encouraging disadvantaged youth to develop themselves through physical activity. You can sponsor her abseil via Just Giving a) to help the cause, and b) because she believes the more money she raises the more chance of her not falling and dying (her words, not mine!) and I quite like my friends alive!
Also, the end of April means another ‘Project LA’ column over at The High Tea Cast. This month I have gone for something a bit different and written a shopping and eating guide to Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice, one of my favourite hang outs and in my opinion the coolest street in the city. If you are planning on visiting Los Angeles any time soon, you would be amiss not to head down there for a meal and a wander.
7. Chocolate No.3 from Georgetown Cupcake. | 8. One of my favourite nail polish shades of the moment, ‘Cheeky Chops’ by Butter London. | 9. Obligatory palm tree shot on Venice Beach. | 10. I never thought I’d see the day J.Crew copied something from H&M. These necklaces look familiar to anyone?! | 11. Writing notes to people back home on pretty note cards from Sugar Paper Los Angeles and The Hummingbird Bakery. | 12. More pizza, this time with roasted garlic and anchovies (my favourite toppings) from 800 Degrees in Westwood.
- 10 Weird Wikipedia Articles You Just Have To Read.
- Because really, we all want to have a photo tour of Emily Schuman’s home.
- The opportunity to visit French markets again is just one reason I’m excited for the Summer.
- On May 16th Instagram is introducing tagging in photos. I for one am very excited about this.
- This delicious looking homemade body butter is happening.
- How to find wild garlic, well, in the wild.
- Photos from inside the Musee Rodin in Paris.
- So living in LA has turned me onto drinking raw pressed juice all the time, but the warmer weather has also made me obsessed with Agua Fresca. Great recipes for it here.
- Garance Dore on how to look good in photographs.
- London vs. New York: two magazine editors switch jobs and cities.
- These beautiful photos of Paris in bloom really put a smile on my face.
- Eating grilled eel with lemon in Venice. Or, why you should always try dishes recommended by a local companion when you are traveling.
- Photos of French markets make me very, very happy.
Finally, do you remember last month I wrote a post introducing the new project from SYCO and Youtube, The You Generation and their ‘Fantastic Food’ category? Today sees the launch of another of their categories which I think will be of interest to a lot of you, their ‘Stylist’ category. Click here for more information, and I can’t wait to see some of your entries!
What have you been enjoying this week, and what have you got planned for the weekend? I’ve got an art gallery trip for my Art History class tomorrow morning, and apart from that I am going to be putting together another recipe post I have planned (though I am very excited for the one that is going to go up on Monday!) and try to get my dissertation proposal finished for next year.