Weekly Love: Week 134
So, it is the time of year for the Cosmopolitan Blog Awards, the only blog awards event in the year that I actually pay attention to! In 2011 Judging Covers, a book review website I write for was nominated as ‘Best Lifestyle Blog’, in 2012 my beauty blog ‘The Glossy Guide‘ was nominated as ‘Best New Beauty Blog’, but much to my disappointment I’ve never managed to get Rachel Phipps into a category and I would really appreciate everyones support if I was to finally get Rachel Phipps in there for 2013. I thought about it long and hard, and while this is a lifestyle blog, it is more of a food blog with lifestyle content mixed in so I would really appreciate it if you could take a moment out of your weekend to nominate Rachel Phipps as ‘Best Food Blog’ this year. Nominations for The Glossy Guide in the ‘Best Established Beauty Blog’ category will also be greatly appreciated! Also, remember to nominate your favourite fashion bloggers in their categories too!
1. A beautiful sunny and hot Saturday spent at the beautiful Huntington Botanical Gardens in Pasadena. | 2. This delicious ‘French Berry’ soda I picked up from Joan’s On Third tastes exactly like a Diablo Fraise. | 3. LA in bloom at the Huntington. | 4. For a easy and delicious lunch or light supper supersize the English pub favourite of the classic prawn cocktail. | 5. Picking up goodies such as tortilla chips and pineapple juice in Trader Joe’s to make some Cinco De Mayo goodies. | 6. A test run for a hopefully upcoming recipe for Strawberries & Cream Shortcakes.
- The difference between BB, CC and DD creams.
- Attention readers in the United States. The Senate has passed an online shopping tax.
- Londoners, if you can’t wait until Autumn when J.Crew is opening on Regents Street (as a current resident of the USA I can tell you that this store is something to get excited about!) they are having a pop up shop on May 24th & 25th at King’s Cross.
- 11 Perfect Paris Picnic Spots.
- More Paris, this time travel photo porn.
- Oh, and yet another beautiful set of photos from Paris in Springtime.
- In case you don’t know about this yet, WhoWhatWear have launched a fantastic new site called Domaine which is full of home inspiration.
- These are supposedly the worlds top 50 websites.
- 5 pieces of DIY herb garden inspiration.
- Shini’s ‘The Art Of Packing’ is one of the best packing posts I’ve ever seen.
- Why you should not exfoliate your face every single day.
- Next time you host a party, you need to build an ice cream sundae bar.
- This brilliant article was written by a man who went to work in Victorias Secret. This is what he observed through the application process, and actually on the job.
Today I want to introduce Rachel Phipps’ first round of sponsors on the blog, whose ads you may have already spotted in the sidebar and been over to check out their sites. First, we have amazing half French, half English, London based lifestyle blog Joy Felicity Jane. I’m personally a reader of Tania’s beautifully photographed blog. I’ve particularly been enjoying her posts from the English Countryside recently.
Next up is SUJUU, an online jewellery and accessories boutique. Everyting is ethically sourced and made with love and care, and they stock designers such as Cinderella B, Aidai and Mirabelle. My personal picks from the store? This Hammered Gold Bangle, this gold Bea Bee Necklace and this Amethyst Bangle.
Finally is the very funny and aptly named lifestyle blog Venus Trapped In Mars. Ladies, especially my American readers? If you need a crash course in sports so you still know what your boyfriend and guy friends are going on about, but you still want things to be pretty and sparkly, it is Sarah’s blog you need to be reading. I found her post yesterday on the calorie count in different beers an interesting read, and her drinking games revolving around different major players in the American sporting calendar is well worth bookmarking. If you want to sponsor Rachel Phipps with 20% off through the month of May, click here for more info.
7. There are beautiful purple Jacaranda blooming all over Los Angeles at the moment. Every time I see one it makes me smile. | 8. Indian Spiced Summer Vegetable Fritters served with a side salad and paprika dusted soured cream. After lots of requests for what was just a light supper I threw together out of leftovers on Instagram and other social media to feature as a recipe post, I’m going to have another play around with it this weekend. | 9. Old (and mock old) sculpture make for great photos, again at the Huntington. | 10. Classic M&M’s: the only way to get through writing an essay. | 11. For an even better version of the classic Strawberries & Cream, whip lemon zest into mascarpone. | 12. I’ve been drinking so much thyme infused lemonade recently; look out for the recipe in June!
- Why in a time of austerity eating out has never been so fashionable and popular. (This article is from London’s Stylist magazine, but relevant to other cities too!)
- Food and restaurant photos from Dishoom in Shoreditch. This is why I can’t wait to eat there.
- Everything you need to know about J.Crew opening in London.
- Garance Dore illustrates her picks what you should buy in French pharmacies on your travels.
- This is the best set of travel photos from Palm Springs I’ve seen in a long time – so vibrant!
- The To 20 Lipsticks That Contain Lead. This list may surprise you.
- How To Walk Off A Plane Looking Like A Babe.
- The Top 10 Artisan Bakeries In Britain.
- I’m An Everygirl, And I Went To Culinary School.
- Youtube is going to start putting some content behind a paywall.
- Flavour & Language. How exactly do you go about describing something (food) with words, when it is an experience that should not really be quantifiable?
- The latest edition of ‘Top Shelf’ on Into The Gloss, with Garance Dore.
Finally, I’ve decided that I want to trial a new feature in my ‘Weekly Love’ posts. I know one of the reasons you guys love them so much is because you enjoy finding new blogs to read through the sites I link to, but I think that can also work both ways too. So, below I’ve decided to play around with the a ‘Simply Linked‘ widget where you can submit your own links to be shown at the bottom of each ‘Weekly Love’ post. If you have a blog post that you’ve posted during the two weeks since the last weekly love post; be it a recipe you are particularly proud of, photos you’ve posted from your recent travels or an outfit you are particularly proud of styling, I, as well as the rest of your fellow readers I’m sure would love to see it. Just a note, to make this fair on everyone, please only submit one link per website, link to a post and not just your home page. Any spam links I will take care of. Also, just to help with my little level of blog post consistance OCD, I would really appreciate it if you could title your link the exact title of your original blog post.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? My weekend is going to be pretty work orientated, so thank god I’m on the home stretch; a month today I will be sitting my last exam at UCLA and my best friend Kathryn will be arriving from London for one last LA adventure!