Weekly Love: Week 135
Tomorrow is June, and while I have felt like it has been Summer since March, so many people have been telling me you can officially start counting ‘Summer’ after Memorial Day, so I’ve decided that my Summer, at least, has officially started. I’ve been cooking Summer recipes in the kitchen for ages now. Living in England and Northern France, Summer for me usually means getting to wear bare legs, bright nail polish and oversized sunglasses. As these are things I can do pretty much all year in Los Angeles, I’m going to try and make the most of the time I have to enjoy the things I don’t get to enjoy back home; beaches that feature golden sand rather than unforgiving grey stones, sea water which is not the colour of grey paint, and lots of fresh Mexican food.
1. A photo of two photographer friends in a shot together is very rare, so enjoy this selfie of the two of us on Balboa Pier in Newport Beach from Nicole’s Instagram feed. | 2. Delicious straight up Iced Tea at the Haute Cakes Caffe in Newport Beach. I’m really going to miss this with my brunch when I move back to England. The only place I can think of that serves it is Granger & Co. in Notting Hill. | 3. Afternoons chilling on the beach. I can’t remember ever being this tanned in my life. | 4. Look who joined the family in the Memorial Day Weekend sale at Nordstrom! | 5. Words of truth from Orange County. | 6. The palm trees are how you know for sure that you are in SoCal.
- For my US readers, The Everygirl has a guide of everything you need to know about and keep in mind when renting an apartment; I wish I’d had this when I was getting my place in LA!
- 10 Fantastic Food Photography Tips For Beginners.
- This is the hotel you want to stay in when you visit Florence.
- London’s Top 10 Street Food Sandwiches.
- Into The Gloss sits down with Arianna and Christina Huffington.
- 6 important things you should bear in mind when making homemade pizza.
- Flavour First takes us behind the scenes at Duck & Waffle.
- The Glitter Guide shares their carry on essentials. You can read my post on what to pack for and how to survive a long haul flight here.
- 3 Ways To Arrange Roses.
- How to make your own Cactus Terrarium.
- Garance Dore’s guide to shopping for your Summer swimsuit.
- Ever visited Poland? Weronika’s photo diary from the city of Wroclaw makes me want to.
- A thoughtful post from the Huffington Post on the Levitated Mass installation at LACMA. (You can see my post about LACMA and the sculpture here.)
7. Pretty pink peonies for sale outside Trader Joe’s. | 8. The perfect complimentary reason not to mind waiting for a friend to get a blow out at DryBar. | 9. As always, pizza from 800 Degrees in Westwood topped with roasted garlic and double anchovies. | 10. Road trip essentials. | 11. My favourite lunch recently: thick slices of homemade bread topped with smoked salmon pate from Trader Joe’s (though I do miss Marks & Spencers Smoked Mackerel Pate!), thickly sliced cucumber and lots of cracked black pepper. | 12. Newport beach on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
- Apparently now the cupcake is getting a bit tired, the next new sweet treat trend is going to be the ‘Cronut.’ Can we have some on the West Coast please?
- 10 Of LA’s Best Tacos. Can I add the Shrimp Taco at Blue Plate to that list too?
- Early evening photos from Paris.
- Highlights from the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
- DIY Rosewater Facial Ice Cubes.
- The history of Watercress.
- Emma teaches us all about (and how to make) Rough Puff Pastry.
- If you live in San Francisco, this is a restaurant you simply can’t miss out on.
- I’ve particularly been enjoying Antebellum’s new album ‘Golden‘. Tracks you need to hear are ‘Get To Me‘, ‘Downtown‘ and ‘Generation Away‘.
- The Lazy Girls Guide To Barbecuing.
- Louise Mensch has written a fantastic post on her blog ‘Unfashionista’ about dealing with low self esteem and gaining self confidence.
- Aimee Song catches up with Fashionista to talk about juggling her blog with her day job; to hear all of this from an ‘It Blogger’ just make me love her even more as she is just like the rest of us!
- How to achieve perfect ‘beach’ hair.
I’ve decided that I want to trial a new feature in my ‘Weekly Love’ posts. I know one of the reasons you guys love them so much is because you enjoy finding new blogs to read through the sites I link to, but I think that can also work both ways too. So, below I’ve decided to play around with the a ‘Simply Linked‘ widget where you can submit your own links to be shown at the bottom of each ‘Weekly Love’ post. If you have a blog post that you’ve posted during the two weeks since the last Weekly Love post; be it a recipe you are particularly proud of, photos you’ve posted from your recent travels or an outfit you are particularly proud of styling, I, as well as the rest of your fellow readers I’m sure would love to see it. Just a note, to make this fair on everyone, please only submit one link per website, link to a post and not just your home page. Any spam links I will take care of. Also, just to help with my little level of blog post consistance OCD, I would really appreciate it if you could title your link the exact title of your original blog post.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I have a few errands to run in Beverly Hills, a paper on Roman Love Poetry to work on and plans to make for my last few weeks in Los Angeles and moving back home.