Weekly Love: Week 128
Yesterday I got back from a hyper-productive week in France where I finished off all my university essays, and my dissertation! I’m off to hand it in on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday. Most of my time in Brittany was taken up writing and editing all day, but I did fit in a fair bit of wine and a lovely countryside walk, too. I also had a nice two days for it all to sink in once I’d finished before arriving back yesterday. I read David Lebovitz’s My Sweet Life In Paris (which I would 100% recommend if you’re interested in Parisian food and culture) and as far as September in The Kitchen Diaries: II which was great for a good healthy dose of inspiration.
1. Lunching on some of the first produce of the year out of the vegetable garden. | 2. Picking up my new favourite French language food magazine, Saveurs (I have so many new recipe ideas from it) and some skincare essentials from the French pharmacy. | 3. Feeding my tulip obsession en-route to a meeting in Islington. | 4. Enjoying the crisp Spring weather on one of my favourite country walks in the Brittany countryside. | 5. Sampling a few bottles of white for my ‘4 Really Good White Wines Under £10‘ feature. | 6. The only sunny day in Brittany, a simple outside lunch of local prawns, fresh bread, chilled rose and a strong French seafood sauce.
- Claire spent a beautiful sunny day at Chatsworth House, aka the home of Mr Darcy.
- For me, warmer weather means Mexican food, which means mixing up Margaritas. I can’t wait to try this trio of Mini Margarita recipes, beautifully photographed too!
- PUNCH gives us the low down on the history of bottled cocktails.
- For those of us suffering Scandal withdrawal already, grab some popcorn and a glass of Pinot Noir as Jimmy Kimmel Live has put the season 3 blooper reel on Youtube. That fact Tony Goldwyn barely features goes on to renew my suspicions that he is perfect.
- So, I may have got sucked into the black hole that is Time Out’s ‘Overheard In London’.
- This is one of the most impressive and delicious looking seafood platters I have ever seen.
- 7 Common Kitchen Disasters, and how to avoid them.
- Flavour First sits down with William Sitwell, the editor of my favourite Waitrose Kitchen.
- Into The Gloss runs us through the Korean 10-Step Skincare Routine. They have also put together a round up of the best old school Abecrombie ads.
- Fellow 90’s kids: they have scientifically plotted Pokemon stats to work out that Squirtle is the best choice of starter Pokemon, and to find that Magicarp are not as crap as you think they are.
- David Lebovitz has written a great (and accurate) post on adjusting to American culture. He has also put together a post for Food 52 about how to make your kitchen more Parisian which is also a great read; I use fleur de sel de Guérande for practically everything in my kitchen, too.
- Los Angeles is apparently the most polluted city in America. That my skin has not quite recovered 7 months since moving back from SoCal.
- Food 52 sits down with my favourite food blogger find in 2014, My Name Is Yeah.
- America? The Kitchn has put together a round up of lime alternatives to use during the shortage.
- The world’s 50 best restaurants.
One of my favourite food websites where I head for recipes, food history, how to’s and to ask questions about my cooking and baking queries or when I can’t work out where something is going wrong of their hotline is Food 52. So, I’m very excited to share with you my recipe writing debut for the site, where I’ve written about my memories of my Mama’s take on a traditional Jewish Lockshen Pudding. She passed away about a month after I finished school, so it means a lot to me that my first recipe for such an amazing site I read every single day is one of hers. You can read my article, and find the recipe here.
7. Yet more tulips. | 8. Testing out a few lunchtime salad recipes. This number of early baby lettuce with avocado, cucumber and spring onions, tossed in a soy sauce, mirin and sea salt dressing was lovely, but just did not quite hit the spot. | 9. A real life #throwbackthursday visiting my old school to borrow some books. | 10. Going retro mixing up a classic prawn cocktail starter for my Dad’s birthday dinner. | 11. Champagne picnic lunches at Charing Point to Point. | 12. My new favourite aperitif; fresh French bread cut with anchovies preserved in olive oil laid on top, drizzled with a little of the oil and topped off with a tiny bit of local Brenton Fleur de Sel. Served with ice cold aperitif wine.
- Food 52 has put together a really great guide on removing food stains.
- David Lebovitz (yes, again) has written a brilliant piece about how he is one of those rare people who loves Los Angeles. In case you had not noticed this by now, I’m one of those people, too!
- The EU has banned Indian Mangoes in Britain.
- 10 Questions to ask yourself before buying a designer item.
- Trey from A Beautiful Mess has put together some great thoughts on Sponsored Posts.
- Jacintha has photographed some stunning London brunches.
- Yara has put together her guide to Los Angeles that I totally agree with.
- Nouvelle Daily has put together a great guide to food photography.
- What your Facebook Unfriending Habits Say About You.
- PUNCH shares the secret of how to drink without getting drunk. And it is rather clever.
- I will never be able to stop sharing photos of Paris in bloom.
- Keri Russell in Malibu Mag. I think she is one of the most beautiful actresses on TV.
- Into The Gloss has put together a roundup of amazing restaurant bathrooms. They’ve also sat down with Suki Waterhouse to talk about her name and skincare routine.
- Refinery 29 staffers ditch traditional face washes and cleansers for an entire week.
- More from Refinery 29, their London team have rounded up the cities best shopping streets.
- Tess talks sugar. Different sugars, where they are found and how bad they are for you.
- Unspoken rules of NYC sidewalks. I’m sharing this in the hope that in some sort of karma exchange it will make less people stand on the left in front of me on the London Underground!
- Michelle Phan talks being a Youtube beauty guru, how to stand out from the crowd and what it is like to use Google Glasses.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? Today I’m covering the first day of an exciting food and wine festival on Southbank I can’t wait to tell you about tomorrow, while I’m off meeting a fellow food blogger for brunch. Then I just plan to catch up with friends over drinks and lunch for the long weekend, before heading home Tuesday.