A traditional Israeli Salad recipe made with finely chopped tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, lots of fresh herbs and your very best extra virgin olive oil – the ultimate summer side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
For the Salad
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes (approx 200g / 7 oz), see note
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped mint
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small garlic clove
- Finely dice the cucumber – don’t bother peeling it – and toss it with the 1 tsp sea salt. Set aside in a colander to drain.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and the garlic clove, peeled and crushed. Set aside.
- De-seed the pepper, and slice away any white ribs. Along with the tomatoes, dice as finely as the cucumber.
- Toss together the drained cucumber, chopped pepper and tomatoes, the dressing and the herbs. Leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- For the best results, use ripe, but still slightly firm tomatoes.
- Be sure to store the leftovers, in the fridge, in their juice.