A really simple way to make a delicious pasta sauce from tinned tomatoes!
- 1 Can Tinned Chopped Tomatoes (The best quality you can afford)
- 1 Knob Unsalted Butter
- 1 Handful Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano (or 1 tsp Fresh)
- Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the tomatoes. So you don’t leave behind any of the tomatoey goodness, add a splash of water to the can, swill around and add to the saucepan.
- Stir until the melted butter is all combined and add the sugar, oregano, and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat until the sauce is simmering. Add the basil. Continue to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over hot pasta, spaghetti or linguini. If you intend to mix the pasta into the sauce before serving, keep back about 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water when you are straining it, and add to the sauce. The starch in the water will help thicken and improve the sauce, but if you prefer just to serve your sauce over the top of your pasta, this step is not essential.