This delicious, versatile crumble recipe works with any soft, summer fruit you can find in the hedgerows.
- Enough berries to cover the bottom about 2 inches deep in your dish.
- 1 tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- Grated rind of 1/2 Lemon
- 170g (6 oz) Plain Flour
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) Cold Unsalted Butter
- 55g (2 oz) Golden Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (355 degrees fahrenheit).
- Sprinkle the soft brown sugar and the lemon rind over the berries in your chosen (oven proof) dish. Set aside while you make your crumble topping.
- To make the crumble, cut the cold butter into small pieces and add to a large bowl with the flour. Using your fingers, rub the butter and flour together. It should start to form a very lumpy, sandy consistency. Large crumbs that cling together. Basically, it should look like crumble cooking, but uncooked. Repeat with the sugar.
- Sprinkle your topping over the fruit making sure all of the berries are covered.
- Cook for half an hour until the top is golden.
- Delicious served with vanilla ice cream.