This really simple potato salad is one of my signature recipes – created one day from what just happened to be in our fridge in Brittany when we needed something to go to barbecue meats – it has become one of my most requested recipes.
- 10-15 (depending on their size) New or Baby Potatoes, cooked, cooled and halved
- 2 tbsp Light Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Wholegrain French Mustard
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Large Salad Onion
- Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, oil and vinegar together until everything is combined into a slightly thick dressing. I keep both Classic and Light mayonnaise in my fridge, as I find the Classic is better when it is acting as a flavour in itself like in chicken and egg salad sandwiches, but Light is better for mixing with something stronger like tuna or in a potato salad, as it allows other flavours to sing a bit more beside it.
- Chop the white and about half the green of the salad onion into small slices and chunks and along with the potatoes add to the dressing.
- Season well, then mix well until all the potatoes are coated in dressing.
- Slice the remaining green top of the salad onion into medium thickness rounds and sprinkle on top. If you have time, chill, but bring back up to room temperature before serving.