This easy spiced potato and squash soup is the perfect winter warmer for when it is freezing cold outside!
- 1 Large Potato
- 1 Small Butternut Squash
- 300ml (10.5 oz) Chicken Stock (you can make your own here)
- 1 tsp + Extra Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Large Pinch Dried Chilli (Red Pepper) Flakes
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Peel the potato and the squash and chop them into small pieces.
- Heat a large saucepan and dry fry the cumin seeds and the chilli flakes for a few minutes until they are aromatic and jumping around in the pan a bit. Set aside some of the cumin seeds for your garnish.
- Add the oil, the vegetable cubes and the tumeric, and gently fry for about 5 minutes to allow the squash and the potato to soften slightly. It does not really matter, but you’ll get a quicker cooking time if you use a softer potato variety.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Allow to cook away like this for 20 minutes until the potato and squash pieces are cooked through.
- Blend until smooth with a stick blender, and return the pan to the heat to heat through.
- Season to taste with fresh lemon juice and sea salt, then garnish on top with the set aside cumin seeds and a squeeze of fresh lemon.