This classic cocktail is so easy to make, and great for dusky autumn afternoons.
- 3/4 oz Cognac (you could use standard brandy if you don’t have Cognac)
- 3/4 oz White Rum (I use Bacardi as I have it around to mix with juice in the Summer!)
- 3/4 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 4–5 Ice Cubes
- Shake all of the ingredients, including the ice in a cocktail shaker or jam jar. Shake it more than you think you need to, and strain out into a cocktail strainer or a small kitchen sieve, into a cocktail martini glass. I don’t have the facility for crushed ice here (I miss the ice machine on my American fridge!), but in cocktail bars the way they chill the glass is by filling it with crushed ice while they make up the cocktail (but you need to use solid ice for the cocktail or you will dilute it too much), then tipping it out just before they serve.
- Add the garnish to the glass, and enjoy! The measurements above are for a single glass, but I have tripled it and doubled it with no trouble. It is too easy for much bother, to be honest!