This bright, punchy salad is perfect to lighten up a New Years Day spread.
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Red Onion, very thinly sliced
- 30g (1oz) Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Small or 1 Large Wholemeal Pitta Bread, torn into small-ish pieces
- 50g (2oz) Walnut Halves
- 25g (1oz) Walnut Pieces
- 2 tsp Sumac
- 1/2 tsp Dried Chilli (Red Pepper) Flakes
- 150g (5.5oz) Baby Spinach Leaves
- 2 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (Roughly 1/2 a lemon)
- Seeds of 1/2 Pomegranate
- Sea Salt (I use French Breton Fleur de Sel)
- Heat the butter and half of the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the torn pitta and the walnuts. Fry over a medium to high heat for about five to six minutes until the pitta pieces are golden brown at the edges and crunchy, and the walnuts are toasted but not burnt.
- Remove from the heat, and toss through 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, chilli flakes and the sumac. Set aside to cool.
- Place the onion slices in a small bowl with the vinegar and another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and set aside for 20 minutes. Drain away the excess vinegar, and set aside.
- When you are ready to serve, mix together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil the lemon juice and and a large pinch of the salt in the bottom of a large serving bowl.
- Toss through the spinach so all of the leaves are well coated then add the onions, pitta and nut mix, and most of the pomegranate seeds, setting aside a small handful.
- Toss everything together again and sprinkle the remaining pomegranate seeds across the top of the salad. Serve immediately.