Forced Rhubarb and Cardamom Compote is one of my favourite breakfasts served over Greek or natural yogurt, or for dessert served with vanilla ice cream.
- 4 Stalks Forced Rhubarb
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 2 tbsp Golden Caster Sugar (regular granulated is also fine)
- 4 Green Cardamom Pods
- Wash the rhubarb and cut into 2cm pieces. Add to a medium saucepan along with the sugar and the orange juice. Please don’t use orange juice from a bottle here, use the freshly squeezed from the actual oranges, as otherwise the flavour balance will be all wrong.
- With the back of your knife crush the cardamom pods to release the black seeds inside and add the whole thing to the pan. Stir, and set over a high heat until the juice starts to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the rhubarb has broken down.
- Taste, and add a little bit more sugar if you think it is a little bit too tart for your liking.
- Fish out the green husks of the cardamom pods, but you can leave the black seeds in the compote.
- Serve warm over Greek or natural yogurt, or allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.