This easy summer salad is the prefect side to take to your next barbecue.
- Small Handful Pine Nuts
- 1/4 of a Giant Watermelon
- Fleur de Sel (or another good quality) Sea Salt
- 4–5 Sprigs Fresh Mint
- 15–20 Buffalo Mozzarella Pearls
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- First, toast the pine nuts. You can do this in a hot oven on a baking tray, but you have to watch them very carefully as they can turn in an instant. I prefer to toast them in a small frying pan over a medium heat where I can keep an eye on them and toss them around while they are toasting without having to open and close an oven door. Once they are nutty and golden brown, remove them instantly from the pan or baking tray so they don’t carry on toasting. Set aside.
- Cube the watermelon into manageable, bite size chunks that are just only slightly bigger than your mozzarella pearls. Spread across your chopping board, and sprinkle evenly with a couple of pinches of sea salt. Toss together with the mozzarella pearls, and arrange in a serving dish.
- Chiffonade the leaves of the fresh mint (the Food Network has a great guide on how to chiffonade – it is actually really simple, you just get to learn the name of a fancy new French preparation technique!) and sprinkle generously over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts, and drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Finish with a good few grinds of black pepper, and serve at room temperature.