This bright, festive salad is great if you’ve got guests coming over on New Years Day when you’re after something a bit lighter at the end of the festive season!
- 75g (2.5 oz) Pecans
- 1 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Mild Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Very Large Pinch Sweet Smoked Paprika
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 300g (10 oz/ 3 bags) Watercress
- 4 Clementines
- To make the pecans, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (395 Fahrenheit).
- In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt with 1 tsp cold water. Add the pecans and stir until the are well coated.
- Spread onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment, and roast for 8-10 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, crushed garlic, dijon mustard, sweet smoked paprika and a very generous few grinds of black pepper in a jam jar, and screw on the lid. Shake vigorously and set aside. If you’re making this ahead, you may need to shake it up again before dressing the salad.
- To assemble the salad, peel the clementines, remove as much pith as possible and slice into 1/2 cm rounds. In a very large bowl, toss half the watercress with about 1/2 tbsp of the dressing.
- Arrange the rest of the watercress on top of the dressed leaves in a serving bowl, sprinkle with the pecans and arrange the clementine pieces.
- Spoon over another few drizzles of dressing, and serve straight away.