This easy winter salad really showcases curly kale (brought to life with zingy lemon juice) and slow roasted cherry tomatoes, and is great as part of a lunchbox or party spread.
- 250g (9 oz) Pack Cherry Tomatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 120g (4 oz) Bulgar Wheat
- 4 Handfuls Chopped Curly Kale
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees (375 fahrenheit).
- Half the cherry tomatoes and place cut side up on a baking tray. Drizzle each with a little vinegar and a little oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Slow roast for an hour and a half. If you don’t want to waste the oven being on slow and low for so long, feel free to roast extra to pile onto your breakfast avocado toast.
- If you are planning on eating your salad cold, you can use some of this time to prepare your kale and bulgur wheat. However, if you want to enjoy this warm, go and enjoy your book with a mug of tea. To cook the bulgar wheat, bring a pan of salted water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer to cook the wheat for 20 minutes. I know the packet says to measure out the water and let it all absorb, but I find this makes for really sticky, glutinous bulgar. If you are letting it cool down, rinse it through under the tap to rinse off any extra starch, which will stop it sticking together.
- To prepare the kale, if you’ve got it from the supermarket, they’ll have chopped the stems into the kale. These are tough, so I like to remove these from my kale before boiling a kettle, pouring boiling water over the kale in a bowl or saucepan, and allowing to sit and blanch (not on the heat) for 2-3 minutes. You’ll want to squeeze all of the water out of the kale before adding it to your salad.
- Once the tomatoes are roasted, mix them into the bulgar, making sure you don’t leave any of the juices behind; these make up part of the dressing.
- Fold in the kale, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add dashes of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and squeezes of fresh lemon juice to taste.