This classic buttermilk waffle recipe is great for a Valentines Day brunch served with rose syrup, strawberries and creme fraiche.
- 10 Large Strawberries
- 1 tbsp Rose Cordial
- 4 tbsp Crème Fraîche
- 150g (6 oz) Plain (All Purpose) Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 1 tbsp Golden Caster (Granulated) Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 200ml (7 fl oz) Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg
- 50g (3 tbsp) Melted Unsalted Butter
- Oil in a spray bottle
- Core and slice the strawberries. In a small bowl, combine them with the cordial and set them aside.
- Plug in your waffle iron to heat up while you make the waffle batter.
- Simply combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and salt in one bowl, and the buttermilk, egg and melted butter in the other. Gradually whisk the liquid mixture into the flour mixture.
- Lightly spray each plate of the waffle iron with a little oil, and cook the waffles in batches. You’ll need to spray a little bit more oil between batches.
- Divide between two warm plates, and spoon over the crème fraîche, the strawberries and the rose and strawberry juice at the bottom of the strawberry bowl.