This bright green barbecue spread is the perfect thing to make and eat outdoors over a sunny Saturday summertime lunchtime.
For the Barbecue Pesto Prawns + Griddled Courgettes
- 225g – 235g Pack Frozen Raw King Prawns, defrosted
- 3 tbsp Pesto
- 1 Small Courgette Per Person
- Course Sea Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Pea, Feta & Avocado Salad
- 1 Small Pack Sweet Mixed Salad Leaves
- 2–3 Large Handfuls Pea Shoots
- 2 Handfuls Fresh Peas (or frozen Petite Pois, defrosted)
- 100g Feta
- 1 Large (or 2 Small) Ripe Avocados
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Your Favourite Salad Dressing (we always make the Truffle Vinaigrette from Chef On A Diet)
- To prepare the prawns, pat them dry and stir them into the pesto in a small bowl. Try to touch the prawns as little as possible and use a spoon for this; the heat from your fingers can start cooking them.
- Thread them onto barbecue skewers (two skewers per person) and set aside. You’ll need to cook these on the barbecue after the courgettes that take longer to cook – the prawns are done simply when they’ve turned a beautiful pink on each side. These you’ll need to half lengthwise, brush with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with sea salt before barbecuing until tender.
- To make the salad, layer the mixed lettuce and pea shoots in a big serving bowl.
- Scatter over the peas, and crumble over the feta.
- Grind over a bit of black pepper to season the feta – it also looks pretty.
- Finally, peel, core and slice the avocado, and finish the salad. Serve whichever dressing you like at the table so you don’t make the leaves too soggy or overpower the avocado and the cheese; vinaigrettes work beautifully in this recipe. If you don’t have a favourite, simply whisk up some extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar, adjusting how much you add of each to taste.