These fun, minty brownies are perfect for Christmas baking.
- 150g (10 tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 300g (1 1/4 cups) Caster Sugar (Granulated if you are in the USA)
- 110g (3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp) Cocoa Powder
- Large Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 120g (1/2 cup) Plain (All Purpose) Flour
- 12 After Eight Chocolates
- 2 Candy Canes, crushed
- Heat your oven to 160 degrees (325 Fahrenheit).
- Place the butter, sugar, salt and cocoa powder in a medium to large heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of hot water, simmering but not boiling so the bottom of the bowl is not sitting in water.
- Gradually stir every few minutes until the butter has melted and everything is combined. The mixture should be smooth, but slightly gritty. Set aside, off the water to cool.
- Line a 8 inch square tin with foil or good quality baking parchment while the mixture cools a little (if you add the eggs right away they’ll cook and ruin your mixture!)
- Beat in the vanilla extract with a balloon whisk followed by the eggs one at a time until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the flour until the mixture is smooth and slightly glossy.
- Spread half the mixture across the bottom of the lined pan, then lay the After Eight’s over the top. Cover with the rest of the mixture and smooth to make an even surface.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the surface of the brownie with crushed candy cane the moment you remove them from the oven, then allow to cool in the tin.
- Slice into 16 pieces, and enjoy!