These Mulled Wine Jellies are the perfect make-ahead, single serving dessert to make over the festive period. They’re pleasantly boozy and the pomegranate seeds are not just for decoration, they add a wonderful burst of freshness and crunch to every bite!
- 440ml (15 fl oz) Red Wine
- 170ml (6 fl oz) Water
- 140g (5 oz) Granulated Sugar
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 1/2 Star Anise
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Large Piece Paired Orange Zest (I usually remove a piece with a vegetable peeler!)
- 7 Small Gelatine Sheets (I use Costa)
- 2 tsp Cognac or Brandy
- 2 Handfuls Pomegranate Seeds
- Combine the wine, water, sugar, cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick and orange zest in a small saucepan.
- Set the pan over a low heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Once the mixture is just simmering, turn the heat down as low as it will go and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the gelatine sheets in a small bowl and cover with cold water to soften.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sieve out the aromatics. Stir in the Cognac.
- Squeeze the water out of each gelatine sheet and whisk, one by one into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between six dishes or glasses and sprinkle each one with pomegranate seeds.
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight.