This velvety, comforting parsnip and apple soup is naturally vegan and the natural sweetness of the parsnips are boosted by roasting, and the addition of British Bramley apples. Crispy fried sage, sunflower seeds, truffle oil and sherry vinegar are among my favourite toppings.
- 400g (14 oz) Parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 200g (7 oz) Bramley Apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 550ml (1/2 quart) Hot Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Sherry Vinegar
- Toppings (See Above)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (390 fahrenheit).
- Spread the cubed parsnip and apple out across a large baking sheet and toss with the rapeseed oil and a generous amount of seasoning. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the parsnip is tender and starting to go golden around the edges.
- Transfer the roasted apple and parsnip to a saucepan, making sure to scrape up any burnt on bits. Add the hot vegetable stock and the sherry vinegar. Using a stick blender blend until velvety and season to taste.
- Set the pan over a medium high heat to bring it up to piping hot before serving with your chosen toppings.