This easy method yields a delicious pineapple and white balsamic vinegar shrub, delicious in cocktails or simply to add to a glass of icy sparkling water as a homemade soda syrup.
- 150g (5 oz) Fresh Pineapple
- 150g (5 oz) White Caster Sugar
- 100ml (5 1/2 tbsp) White Balsamic Vinegar (sometimes sold as white condiment)
- Chop the pineapple into small pieces. Stir together with the sugar and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside, at room temperature for two days to macerate, stirring occasionally until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Drain away the pineapple and transfer the shrub into a sterilised bottle and store in the fridge.
I don’t cover my shrub on the countertop, but if you have a fruit fly problem, a piece of cheesecloth or muslin should suffice, secured with a rubber band around the rim of your bowl.