These easy spiced almonds and pistachios are flavoured with cumin, cinnamon, paprika and orange zest, and go down a storm at Christmas and New Years parties! Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s At My Table (ad).
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g (3.5 oz) blanched almonds
- 100g (3.5 oz) unsalted pistachios, shelled
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees (320 fahrenheit).
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices, orange zest (use the finest hole on your grater or a microplane), sea salt, honey and olive oil to make a thick paste. Set aside.
- Spread the nuts across a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes until just golden, keeping a close eye on them as they can catch in just moments!
- Tip the hot nuts straight into the spice paste and stir well with a rubber spatula until the nuts are well coated. Don’t use a spoon – unless you use a rubber spatula you’ll get lumps of the spice mix in your nuts rather than a nice even coating!
- Spread the nuts across a large plate to cool before storing in an air tight container for up to a week.