An easy, naturally vegan and totally customisable grain salad using the bright, fresh salad ingredients usually found in a Middle-Eastern Fattouch Salad.
- 120g () pearled spelt, or any other toothsome grain
- 1/4 cucumber
- 4 radishes
- large handful cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- small handful flat leaf parsley
- small handful fresh mint
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sumac
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- Cook the spelt in a pan of boiling water. This should take 20 minutes – check the pack if you’re using a different grain for cooking times! Drain, at the same time rinsing through with cold water. Set aside to continue draining and cooling.
- Roughly chop the cucumber – don’t bother peeling it! Also roughly chop the radishes and halve the cherry tomatoes. Peel and finely slice the onion, and roughly chop the herbs.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sumac and lots of freshly ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Combine the cooked, cooled grains, the salad vegetables and herbs, and the dressing. Season to taste with more salt and pepper before serving.