A simple Chilli con Carne (Beef Bean Chilli) recipe made in the crockpot / slow cooker, perfect for loading up with all your favourite toppings!
- 2 medium red onions
- large glug light oil
- sea salt
- 400g (14 oz) beef mince
- 1/2 tp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun spice mix
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) tin black beans
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) mixed beans
- Peel and chop the onions into bite sized chunks. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat, or in the slow cooker insert if you have a sear-and-stew model. Fry the onions for 5 minutes or so with a generous pinch of sea salt until the onions are soft and starting to go golden.
- Add the beef mince and fry until browned, breaking up the mince with your wooden spoon or spatula a you go. If you’re using a frying pan, transfer the beef and onions to your slow cooker.
- Stir in the cumin, cocoa powder, Cajun spice mix, tomatoes, and both cans of beans, drained. Set the slow cooker to cook for 6 hours on low, or 3 hours on high.
- Season the Chilli to taste with more sea salt just before serving.