A delicious, autumnal, spiced one pan chicken and sweet potato dish adapted from Emma Spitzer’s book Fress: Bold Flavours From A Jewish Kitchen.
For the Chicken
- 4 skin on bone in chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 banana shallots
- 4 large dates
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- couscous, to serve
- roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve
For the Sauce
- 100ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small nub fresh ginger, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (355 fahrenheit). Nestle the chicken thighs, sweet potato, cut into fingers, shallots, peeled and halved, and the dates, halved and pitted in a shallow lidded casserole dish. Nestle the bay leaf, thyme sprigs and the crushed cinnamon stick among the chicken pieces.
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients and pour it over the chicken. Season everything well with salt and pepper.
- Clap on the lid and cook the chicken for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 25 minutes. Serve with the couscous, sprinkled with fresh parsley.