These easy egg toasties contain all the classic flavours of a Bombay-style omelette including green chilli, tomato, onion, coriander and warming spices.
- 1 egg
- pinch turmeric
- pinch ground cumin
- pinch Garam Masala
- freshly ground sea salt & black pepper
- 1/2 green chilli
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small spring onion
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 slices supermarket white bread
- spreadable butter (I use lightly salted Lurpack)
- Whisk together the spices and some seasoning. Finely chop the chilli – de-seeded for less heat – the cherry tomatoes, and the spring onion, and stir into the egg mixture along with the coriander.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter very thinly, right to the edges.
- Lay the buttered side of the piece of bread down on the toastie maker, gently pressing down to flatten the bread to make indents for the egg mixture, trying not to tear the bread. Pour in the egg mix and place the other piece of bread on top butter side up.
- Close the toastie maker and turn on the heat to medium, checking every few minutes until the toasties have gone slightly puffy to the touch, which means the egg is cooked. Turn the toastie maker up to high and cook for a further few minutes until the bread is golden on each side. Serve immediately.