These easy Crispy Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Wraps served with sweet chilli sauce, shredded carrots and roasted cashews are totally vegan-friendly and great to serve as a Japanese-inspired lunch, starter or a light low carb dinner!
For the Crispy Teriyaki Tofu
- 150g (5 14/ oz) firm tofu, patted dry (see note)
- 1 tsp light oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 1/2 small carrot
- small handful fresh coriander
- small handful roasted cashews
- 1 large spring onion
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- sweet chilli sauce, for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (390 fahrenheit). Drain and pat the tofu down with a piece of kitchen towel (see note) and cut into bite size cubes. Toss in a bowl first with the oil, then the cornflour until well coated. Be careful not to break the tofu up with your spoon!
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and toss on the tofu, making sure the pieces are well spaced out. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and crisp. Transfer to a small bowl, toss with the teriyaki sauce until the pieces are completely coated, and return to the baking sheet to bake for a further 5 minutes until sticky and golden.
- Meanwhile, separate out the lettuce leaves to create cups, peel and very finely shred the carrot, roughly chop the cashews and trim and slice the spring onions.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, pile each with carrot batons, coriander, cashews, tofu pieces and spring onion slices. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds and serve immediately with a small bowl of sweet chilli sauce on the side for dipping and drizzling.
Miso Tasty Firm Tofu does not require pressing, but check the brand you’re using as you want to remove as much moisture as possible for the crispiest tofu!