These light, airy pancakes made with matzo meal work great with sweet or savoury toppings, the perfect alternative to classic American buttermilk pancakes!
- 65g (2 1/4 oz) matzo meal
- 1/2 tbsp golden caster (granulated) sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- large pinch sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 175ml (3/4 cups) milk
- light oil or clarified butter, for frying
- 1 large ripe avocado
- soured cream
- salmon roe or smoked salmon
- very small handful fresh dill
- To make the batter mix together the matzo meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Lightly beat the egg, and stir it, along with the milk into the mixture. Stir well and leave to sit for 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat a little light oil or clarified butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, fry off spoonfuls of the batter for a few minutes each side. You should make 6 golden pancakes from this mixture.
- Serve divided between two plates with the avocado, sliced, a scattering of dill and spoonfuls of soured cream and salmon roe or smoked salmon.