This delicious homemade lemonade recipe uses both the zest and juice of lemon and limes, and can be diluted as you want with sparkling water – great to make ahead and super refreshing to enjoy with lots of ice on a hot summers day!
- 200ml (3/4 cups) freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx. 4 lemons)
- 50ml (1/4 cups) freshly squeezed lime juice (approx. 2 small limes)
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 60g (2 oz) granulated sugar
- chilled sparkling water
- ice cubes
- Zest 1 lemon and half a lime and set the zest aside.
- Squeeze all the citrus and combine half the juice with the sugar and the reserved zest in a small saucepan. Set over a medium heat and stir for 5 minutes or so until all the sugar is dissolved, before setting the syrup aside to cool completely.
- Strain the zest from the syrup and combine it with the juice. Chill until needed for up to 3 days.
- Mix the lemonade syrup, in a 3:2 ratio with sparkling water and serve over ice, adjusting to suit your personal tastes.