These easy Korean Barbecue-style Chicken Lettuce Wraps combine crisp lettuce, aromatic white rice, an addictive homemade Korean sweet chilli sauce and delicious griddled chicken for a Korean barbecue-inspired experience that is quick and easy enough for busy weeknights!
For the Korean Barbecue-style Chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp doenjang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Korean plum syrup
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 small brown onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- thumb size piece ginger
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs
For the Korean Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 2 gem lettuces
- 60g (2 oz) jasmine rice
- seasoned Korean seaweed flakes
- First, marinate the chicken. Combine all the marinade ingredients – the onion, garlic and ginger without their skins – in a blender and blitz until you have a smooth marinade. Cut each chicken thigh into 4 pieces and using the palm of your hand bash them down to flatten them a bit so they’re all of an even thickness. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
- Cook the rice and separate the gem lettuce leaves into cups. Meanwhile, whisk together all the Korean sweet chilli sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan on high or get the barbecue going. Cook the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes on each side until they’re nicely charred and totally cooked through – if you’re working inside you’ll want to open the windows as the sugar content in the plum syrup does produce a bit of smoke along with a beautiful char!
- Bring everything to the table so everyone can build their own lettuce cups!