This easy Greek-style Rainbow Beetroot Salad is the perfect way to serve cooked beetroot as part of a Mediterranean-style spread – it also yields delicious leftovers!
- 2 mixed medium beetroot
- sea salt
- 1 tbsp date molasses
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 spoonfuls Greek-style yogurt
- small handful fresh mint
- small handful fresh dill
- Halve the beetroot and cook in a pan of boiling salted water until fork tender, this usually takes 30 minutes. If you’re using different colours of beetroot, keep the traditional purple beets in a different pan from the other beetroot (or the rest if you’re scaling this recipe up) as they will dye everything else purple!
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing whisk together the date molasses, olive oil, vinegar, the garlic clove – finely grated – and another good pinch of salt.
- Once the cooked beetroot are just cool enough to touch carefully peel off the skins – again, for purple beets wear gloves to stop you staining your fingers! Slice into just bigger than bite-sized wedges.
- Keeping the purple beetroot in a separate bowl, divide the dressing between the beetroot and toss. Leave to cool completely in the dressing.
- Add a spoonful of yogurt to each portion of beetroot, just folding in so swirls of plain yogurt remain visible.
- Spoon the different dressed beets onto a serving dish and scatter generously with fresh herbs before serving.