How to cook fresh borlotti beans. Delicious, simple slow cooked borlotti beans flavoured with tomato, garlic and sage.
- 400g (1 lb) fresh borlotti beans
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 sprig fresh sage or rosemary
- small handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees (300 farenheit). Pod the borlotti beans into a heavy bottomed, lidded casserole dish. You want them to just cover the bottom.
- Add the sage, cherry tomatoes, garlic cloves (peeled), extra virgin olive oil and 400ml (1 2/3 cups) water – if the water does not quite cover the beans, add a little bit more until they do.
- Bake the beans, lid on for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, checking every hour or so to make sure they’re not drying out and sticking to the bottom. At the end you want the beans tender with their skins split, and a very scant amount of liquid.
- Remove the sage stems for the beans and stir in the vinegar and sea salt, both to taste. If you beans look a little thick, add a splash more water until they reach their desired consistency.