These easy Eggnog Panna Cotta – topped with boozy cherries soaked in Kirsch – are really quick to prepare, the ultimate make-ahead dessert for a Christmas dinner or gathering!
- 3 sheets gelatin (I use Costa)
- 130ml (1/2 cup) semi skimmed milk
- 150g (5 1/4 oz) golden caster (granulated) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400ml (1 1/2 cups) double (heavy) cream
- 4 tbsp golden or dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Opies Black Cherries in Kirsch
- Soak the gelatine in a small bowl of cold water. Set aside.
- Combine the milk, sugar and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan, and set over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, and bring to the boil. Then reduce to low, and allow the cinnamon stick to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, rum and the vanilla, and turn up the heat to bring to the boil once more. Then, remove the pan from the heat. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Squeeze any excess water out of the gelatine sheets and stir them, one by one until dissolved into the cream mixture. Run the mixture into a jug through a sieve, and divide between four glass serving bowls. Chill in the fridge until set: this should take at least 4 hours.
- Sprinkle each with a little freshly grated nutmeg, and spoon 4-5 cherries and a little of their juice over each dish, and serve immediately.