These easy and delicious Leftover Roast Potato Cakes transform leftover roast potatoes and parsnips into delicious potato cakes perfect for a Boxing Day breakfast!
- 4 leftover roast potatoes
- 2–3 leftover roast parsnips (or 2 more roast potatoes)
- leftover bread sauce
- freshly ground sea salt & black pepper
- large knob unsalted butter
- light oil
- 2 tbsp Opies capers in brine
- 8 Opies gherkins in brine
- soured cream
- 4 sliced smoked salmon
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Roughly chop the potatoes and the pancakes. In a medium bowl, season them well with salt and pepper before mashing them with clean hands. Gradually add bread sauce until the mixture is sticky enough to shape patties. Divide the mixture into 4 and shape.
- Heat the butter and a generous glug of oil in a medium to large non-stick frying pan set over a medium high heat. Once the mixture is shimmering, fry the patties for a few minutes on each side until golden, working in batches if you need to so not to crowd the pan.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the gherkins to about the same size as the capers, and mix together.
- Divide the potato cakes between two plates and top them with a dollop of soured cream, a couple of slices of smoked salmon and half the caper mixture. Sprinkle lemon zest over each plate and serve immediately.