This quick and simple Chilli Garlic Courgette Stir Fry takes only 20 minutes to make – perfect served over rice or noodles for a speedy supper, or to serve as an Asian-inspired side dish.
For the Courgette
- light oil
- 2 large courgettes (zucchini)
- thumb size piece fresh ginger
- 4 large garlic cloves
- black sesame seeds, for garnish
- small handful roasted cashews, roughly chopped, for garnish
- cooked egg noodles or jasmine rice, to serve
For the Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar (see note)
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek (I buy this brand #ad)
- To make the stir fry sauce, combine the fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, black vinegar, honey, sambal oelek and 2 tbsp of water and set aside.
- Heat a generous splash of light oil a large non-stick frying pan set over a medium high heat. Slice the courgettes lengthways, and cut into half moons or quarter chunks, depending on their size to create bite-sized chunks.
- Saute the courgette for 10 minutes until golden and slightly tender. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the ginger and the garlic.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic to the pan, and stir fry for another minute or two until softened and fragrant, just starting to colour.
- Add the sauce and allow it to bubble away for an other minute or two until it has thickened, is coating the courgette and has reached the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles, topped with sesame seeds and the chopped cashews.
It is well worth seeking out a bottle of Chinese black vinegar for this recipe – it is also delicious for serving with steamed dumplings – but in a pinch you can substitute 2 tsp of rice wine vinegar and 1 tap of balsamic vinegar mixed together. I order mine on Amazon #ad.