This simple Whipped Feta with Beetroot, Dill & Pistachios salad plate is perfect for scooping up with warm flatbreads or serving alongside a Greek or Mediterranean-inspired feast!
- 3 small or 2 medium beetroot
- sea salt
- 140g (5 oz) feta
- 100g (3.5 oz) Greek-style yogurt
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp date molasses
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- small handful roughly chopped roasted pistachios
- small handful fresh dill
- freshly ground black pepper
- Halve the beetroot and cook them in a pan of boiling, salted water until tender; this should take roughly 20 minutes. Drain and set aside until they’re just cool enough to touch.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped feta by blitzing together the feta, yogurt and lemon juice in a bullet blender or small food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the dressing for the beetroot, whisk together the vinegar, molasses and oil in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Peel the skins of the beetroot and cut into small cubes. Toss with the marinade and leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you chop the pistachios and the dill.
- Swirl the whipped feta across a serving plate with the back of a spoon and pile the beetroot on top, leaving the remaining dressing behind in the bowl. Sprinkle over the pistachios and the dill, and finish with a good drizzle of oil and a few grinds of black pepper.
I wear disposable gloves when I’m handling the beetroot so that I don’t stain my fingers.