These fresh and vibrant Deconstructed California Roll Bowls are made with fresh crab meat, creamy avocado and a zingy miso yogurt dressing for the perfect make-ahead lunch bowl inspired by everyones favourite sushi roll.
For the California Roll Bowls
- 160g (3/4 cup) sushi rice
- 2 large spring onions
- 1/2 small cucumber
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 1 large avocado
- 1 nori sheet
- 100g (3.5 oz) fresh white crab meat
- small handful cress, for serving
- spiced or black sesame seeds, for serving
For the Miso Yogurt Sauce
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp red miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- juice 1/4 lime
- Cook the sushi rice as per the packets instructions. I find for 160g rice I need to rinse it, soak it in cold water for 15 minutes then cook it in 220ml (a scant cup) of cold water, with the lid on for 10 minutes over a low heat once it has been brought to the boil. I then leave it to steam for 10 minutes with the lid on before allowing it to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sauce ingredients until smooth. Reserve the rest of the lime to serve with the bowls.
- Finely shred the spring onions and leave them in a bowl of ice water to create curls – remember to pat them dry on a piece of kitchen paper before using.
- Peel and slice the cucumber, and shred the lettuce. Peel and slice the avocado, and cut the nori sheet into smaller sheets.
- Serve all the ingredients split between two bowls, with the sauce on the side, sprinkled with cress and sesame seeds.