A zesty, lemon-heavy Shaved Asparagus Pasta Salad recipe that makes a perfect springtime lunch or side dish for barbecued chicken.
- 170g (6 oz) pasta bows
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 15g (1/2 oz) finely grated pecorino
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) asparagus spears
- large handful toasted pine nuts
- Cook the pasta as per the packets instructions in a pan of salted water. Once it is tender, rinse it under a cold tap to cool it down and rinse off any excess starch. Set aside to drain really, really well.
- In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon, cheese, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Toss in the pasta until well coated, and set aside for the bows to absorb the dressing.
- Meanwhile, snap the woody bottoms off the asparagus spears and using a very sharp knife thinly slice them along the diagonal.
- Toss the shaved asparagus and the toasted pine nuts with the pasta, season to taste with more salt, pepper or lemon juice as needed, and serve immediately.
Pecorino cheese is not vegetarian, so use a vegetarian Italian hard cheese instead if you’re serving this to strictly meat-free guests.