This simple and refreshing Broad Bean, Cucumber and Radish Salad recipe makes the post of seasonal summer ingredients for a simple side salad to serve alongside practically any other summer recipe.
- 150g (5 1/4 oz) podded broad beans
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- flaky sea salt
- 150g (5 1/4 oz) cucumber
- 2 large radishes
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes before draining and immediately tipping into a bowl of ice water. Peel the tough outer skins off the broad beans and discard.
- In a small bowl, combine the peeled broad beans with the olive oil, the mint leaves, very finely chopped, the lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Peel strips of skin off the cucumber so that it is stripy before halving it down the middle and cutting thick slices on the diagonal. Scatter these across a serving dish, followed by the radishes cut into thin half moons.
- Spoon the broad bean, mint and olive oil mixture over the salad. Top with the lemon zest, a few grinds of black pepper and a little more sea salt.
If you don’t have the time to skin the broad beans, fresh garden peas can be easily substituted.
Keywords: broad bean, broad bean salad, cucumber salad, radish salad