Slices of moist Marzipan Loaf Cake and lightly grilled before being served with lightly macerated cherries and a handful of fresh mint for a simple summer dessert that is easy to make ahead.
For the Marzipan Loaf Cake
- 150g marzipan (white or yellow)
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 75g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
For the Macerated Cherries
- 600g cherries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- handful fresh mint
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees celsius, and grease and line a 1 lb loaf pan (the smaller of the two sizes!)
- Tear the marzipan into small pieces and add it to the food processor along with the rest of the cake ingredients. Blitz until smooth, and scrape into the prepare tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes until the top is golden and when you insert a cake tester into the middle of the cake it comes out clean.
- While the cake cools, macerate the cherries. Half and pit them then stir them together with the lemon juice and sugar in a non-reactive bowl (glass or plastic, not metal!) Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut the cake into 8 slices and grill until charred either on the barbecue, or on a hot griddle pan.
- Serve with the cherries spooned over the slices and scattered with fresh mint.
The cake will keep wrapped in cling film for up to 3 days (but it usually does not last that long!) so feel free to scale down the amount of cherries needed if you’re not feeding a crowd.