This hearty chopped salad is based on the classic BLT, with added chunks of creamy may and a lighter buttermilk ranch dressing.
For The Dressing
- 2 tbsp Light Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Total 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1 Very Small Garlic Clove, crushed
- Large Pinch Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Chives
- 2 1/2 tbsp Low Fat Buttermilk
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the Salad
- 1 Gem Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Small, Ripe Avocado, cubed
- 2 Rashers Streaky Bacon
- Large Handful Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
- Grill the bacon on high and until it is American crispy. I like to cook it suspended on a suspended grill so the fat can drip away into a dish below, and I also like the daub the bacon slices with kitchen towel when they come out of the oven to remove more excess fat. Let the rashers go cold.
- To make the Buttermilk Ranch, beat together the mayonnaise, yogurt, crushed garlic, a large pinch of sea salt and chives in a small bowl.
- Beat in the buttermilk a spoonful at a time (you may like your ranch thicker than I like mine, and the buttermilk thins it), and add a good few turns of freshly ground black pepper. Check the seasoning and refrigerate while you prepare the salad.
- Toss together the lettuce, tomatoes and avocado pieces in a salad bowl, top with drizzles of ranch and crispy bacon pieces. I make my life easier by just cutting the cold cooked bacon with scissors.