These easy homemade Chicken Gyros wraps are made from scratch with homemade flatbreads and tzatziki sauce.
For the Chicken Souvlaki
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs
For the Flatbreads
- 200g (7 oz) strong white bread flour
- large pinch sea salt
- 100ml (5 1/2 tbsp) warm water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Tzatziki
- 1/4 english cucumber
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) natural yogurt
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
- sea salt
- squeeze fresh lemon juice
For the Chicken Gyros
- large handful shredded lettuce
- 1/2 small red onion
- large handful cherry tomatoes
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients (peeling and crushing the garlic) in a medium bowl. Cut the chicken into large chunks and set aside to marinate – this can be done several hours ahead for a better flavour.
- To make the flatbreads, mix the salt into the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the warm water and olive oil. Mix everything together with a fork, switching to your hands to bring into into a smooth dough. Knead for 5 minutes on a clean surface and return it to the bowl, covering it in kitchen wrap to rest.
- Peel and finely slice the red onion and leave it to sit in a small bowl of cold water to take some of the bite out of it. Roughly chop the cherry tomatoes.
- To make the tzatziki grate the cucumber, peeled, on the largest hole of a box grater and set aside in a small bowl. In another small bowl combine the yogurt, garlic granules, dill, a god pinch of salt and a spritz of lemon. Squeeze any excess water out of the cucumber over the sink and stir it into the yogurt. Season to taste with more salt and lemon.
- Set the griddle pan over a high heat. Divide the flatbread dough in half, and roll each half out into the thinnest circle you can manage. Griddle each for 2-3 minutes on each side until slightly puffed and cooked through. Set the flatbreads aside.
- Meanwhile, divide the chicken between four wooden skewers. Once the flatbreads have finished cooking, cook the chicken until cooked through and charred on the outside.
- Bring everything to the table so you can build your own wraps.
If you don’t like tzatziki, garlic mayonnaise is also fantastic here.