This easy pasta salad gets better the longer it is in the fridge, and is packed with fresh tomatoes, marinated vegetables and salty strips of salami.
- 200g (7 oz) fusilli pasta
- sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 140g (5 oz) fresh tomatoes
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) mixed roasted peppers, packed in oil
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) roasted aubergine slices, packed in oil
- 60g (2 oz) semi-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) salami
- large handful fresh basil
- Cook the pasta in salted water as per the packets instructions. You want the pasta slightly softer than you would for a regular pasta dish, because pasta firms up as it cools and softer pasta will absorb the dressing in the pasta salad better.
- In the bottom of a large bowl whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and add them to the bowl, followed by the roasted peppers, aubergine slices and semi-dried tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces.
- Drain the pasta and briefly run it under the cold tap, just to wash off any excess starch – you want the pasta to still be warm, as warm pasta will also absorb the dressing better!
- Stir the pasta into the dressing until it is well coated. Leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut the salami into strips and roughly chop the basil. Stir both into the room temperature pasta salad, and season to taste with a little more salt, if needed.