This filling, French-style salad makes a great light supper eaten outside when it is almost too hot to cook.
- 4 Large or 5 Medium New Potatoes
- Sea Salt
- 4-5 Large Handfuls Lettuce Leaves
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 2 Spring Onions
- 1 tbsp Nonpareille Capers
- 30g Tin Anchovies in Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Dijon Mustard
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan with enough cold water just to cover them, along with a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Bring them to boil over a high heat and allow to cook for about 15-20 minutes, until you can easily stick a sharp knife through them. The exact cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes. If you are looking to avoid turning on the hob at all, I like to cook more potatoes than I need in the summer when I am making a potato salad, stashing the leftovers in the fridge to throw into salads or to cut into matchsticks for a crudité plate. Set the potatoes aside and allow them to cool.
- Rinse and dry the lettuce leaves. Tear them into manageable pieces and divide between two bowls.
- Peel the cucumber, and cut it into small chunks.
- Top, tail and finely slice the spring onions, and divide the cucumber and the spring onion between the salads.
- Slice the potatoes, peeling off as much of the potato skin as possible as you do so.
- Divide the potato slices between the bowls, and divide the capers and the anchovies, draining them and doing your best to keep them whole between the salads too. Depending on which brand of anchovy you buy, you may need to remove the spines.
- Finish the potato slices with a dusting of freshly ground black pepper.
- To make the vinaigrette, place about a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in the bottom of a small bowl, and follow with a generous dash of red wine vinegar and the olive oil. Whisk until the dressing is smooth, and give it a taste. If it is too tart, add more oil. If it does not have enough flavour add a bit more mustard. If it is too flat, add more vinegar. Once you are happy with the dressing, drizzle it over each bowl before serving.