Weekly Love: Week 200
Welcome to the 200th edition (!) of Weekly Love! It seems like every fortnight when I sit down to write one of these something bad has happened, so today I want to focus on something positive, Borough Market (which not only is my local, but will always have a special place in my heart as my first ever paid column as a food writer, and my first print feature) which re-opened on Wednesday. Not only has the council pledged business rate relief for the businesses inside the police barrier zone who were unable to open until this week, I want to draw your attention to the Borough Market Relief Fund where you can donate to help the small traders who may be put at risk by the loss of stock and trading days. Please give what you can!
1. Counting down, less than 7 weeks now until Student Eats is published! (Pre-order it here!) | 2. Happy to be back in my office taking in my beautiful view of the Palace of Westminster (in spite of all the scaffolding!) | 3. A superb (and super cheap) brunch in the Soho sunshine at Bun House – full review coming soon. | 4. Our favourite Rioja brand Campo Viejo has a fantastic Fiesta of Colour wine terrace in Waterloo Millennium Gardens – it’s a sun trap with lots of great things to drink and a wonderful tapas food truck where we hung out after work last night – be sure to check it out, as it is only around until Sunday! | 5. Lazy Sunday Polpo Aperol Spritz. | 6. My new Deliveroo favourite: Arabica at Borough Market.
- I’m giving away a picnic basket of Appletiser and Meringue Girls goodies on Twitter, including a pair of the lovely stemless wine glasses I use at home. Enter here.
- The Kitchn put that tip where you make homemade lemonade by putting the whole lemon in a blender to the test – I’ve always been curious about this one! Also, they’ve asked 11 people how much money they spend on alcohol every week, and the answers are really interesting.
- Jeannie has some great tips for shopping the farmers market with an actual meal in mind (the walk around tip is my biggest tip on farmers market shopping too!)
- There is a Kickstarter running to open a Harry Potter magic and tech pub in London.
- Again, Rose’s photos have me hankering after a Greek holiday. (Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Especially now the area around London Bridge is now up and running again since the recent attacks, Ed Smith’s list of where to eat in the area is well worth another look. Also, my picks at Borough Market: Roast, Wright Brothers and Rabot 1745.
- Here is a fantastic itinerary for what to do over 5 days in Tulum, Mexico.
- Lucy takes us on a tour of Port Louis, Mauritius.
- This is apparently the secret to making the best homemade burgers you’ve ever had.
- There is an Alice in Wonderland afternoon tea in London this summer you have to try. This Nordic afternoon tea at Nova Food also looks pretty wonderful.
- The idea of camping does not usually appeal, but this is a trip I want to go on!
- A day in the life at Cupcakes & Cashmere. Also, here are some fantastic life lessons learnt from Cupcake & Cashmere’s interns.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’m heading back to Kent to celebrate Fathers Day with my Daddy (because I clearly have not had enough of trains and packing my suitcase recently!), and to shoot an exciting barbecue feature I can’t wait to share with you! For more like this, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter, which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month, packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook reviews, and other updates.