A quick, easy, healthy and accidentally vegan rice bowl full of vibrant colours and bright flavours. This recipe makes roughly 6 portions of sauce and keeps well for a week in the fridge.
For the Rice Bowl
- 55g (2 oz) Brown Basmati Rice
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) Tenderstem Broccoli
- 10–12 Cherry Tomatoes
- Chilli Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil (see notes)
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the Romesco Sauce
- Small Handful Blanched Almonds
- 200g (7 oz) Jarred Roasted Peppers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (see notes)
- Sea Salt
- Boil the rice in a pan of boiling water for 25 minutes, until tender. I prefer to cook rice like pasta and drain it well afterwards as it is almost impossible to burn it this way!
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the grill to 200 degrees (390 farenheit) and make the sauce.
- To make the Romesco, add all the ingredients except for the salt to a blender (I use this one) and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- 10 minutes before the rice is ready, toss the broccoli and tomatoes – leave them whole – together with a good drizzle of chilli infused oil and a generous amount of salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Grill until the broccoli is charred and tender, and the tomatoes have started to blister.
- Serve the veggies and any cooking juices spooned over the rice, finished with a very generous drizzle of the Romesco sauce.
Pomora are kind enough to gift me a fantastic quarterly olive oil selection which I use for everything and I’m using their chilli infused oil here. Alternatively if you don’t have a favourite brand, use regular olive oil with a pinch of dried chilli flakes.
Lots of traditional Romesco sauces have garlic in but I find it too harsh; feel free to use some garlic infused olive oil here instead; again, I use Pomora’s.